6.16.2006

Of Friends and Roads

One of the things that i enjoyed most about growing up was my ability to make friends real quick. One of the things that I hated the most about growing up was the number of times I had to make them. I moved around quite a bit when I was a kid, changing four different schools. It is probably not as much as compared to people who study all around India courtesy of the banks, but it was enough to lose track of friends. The oldest friend I have managed to keep in touch with so far is from '96. I actually lost touch with her for close to 5 years. We are kind of rekindling the flames to see if we still walk on similar paths. What amazes me is not the fact that we both have changed quite a bit. Life has taken has far enough from the ribbon plaited days of middle school, but the fact that deep down a lot of our attitudes and perspectives remain the same. Maybe I am just real lucky to have found someone who grew in the same direction as I did under very similar circumstances. There have been a number of people in my life who I would regret not knowing really well, or even failing to keep in touch with. Some of the best moments I had was with a few of my primary school friends and my greatest regret was having to leave that life behind. Things would have probably been different if I had lived that life, but then I wouldn't have met this person with whom I shared my growing years and another wonderful friend of mine with whom I see myself ages from now. I see myself as I am now, as I was then and how my life will be when I am with these people, and that perhaps is the true test of friendship, the ability to survive, thrive and grow. Here's to friends and the lives we live.

3 Borrowed my shoes:

karmic said...

That's the hardest part making friends and losing them for various reasons. I hear where you are coming from though. I did not have a lot of friends and did not move either, but somehow for the longest time just did not have the kind of longterm friends.
It sort of has chanegd after being in this country for so long, but I do wonder about the part of my life in India, so strangely shorn of the kind of friends you talk about.
But I am glad for you. :)
Also read you nice comment at random thoughts which sort of brought me here.,, thought I would respond to that as well.

But my very wise mother told me, that it thrills them and makes them proud to no end that I am able to live my life and do the things I have loved and that makes them much more happier, than having me be by their side.

Thas what they said to me too. It always amazes me at hoe altruistic they can be when it comes to their children. I wish I have some of that. Also being the only son (sis lives close to them fortunately) it must be harder at their age. As time goes by some of thoughts about these come sometimes unbidden to me mind..

M (tread softly upon) said...

I will drink to that. There's nothing like old friends and being able to re-live your childhood with them.

Cacophoenix said...

@Karmic_jay: Being a place so far removed from a life in India, being in the thick of things and getting all sucked and muddled up with the going on there is the reason why we are able to see things the way we see them now. I guess the third person -like view that we get from here makes things appear more stark. from here I can see better the friends I made and also seemy parents in way I have never thought of them.
@m: It is like unearthing this most cherished memory from childhood and being able to laugh, enjoy and relive it all over again.