11.16.2006

The Stars in our eyes!!!

Is it just me or has there really been an obsession with celebrities and their lives of late. I realized how bad the situation had become when BBC news carried news about "Twinkle" Tom and "Kiss-me" Kate. They are getting married in a Oh-So-Big castle in Rome. For the news junkie in me BBC was like a God sent gift. Their no-nonsense news appealed to my just need the news senses. I didn't like the way that the local channels like CBS, NBC, et. al., made news sound like entertainment. I had to wait for them to stop greeting each other, giggle about each other's clothes, talk about the next big wedding and/or divorce, talk about some award show and then slowly giggle their way into news. No thanks I will have just the news instead. So when they started to talk about Tom and Kate and Brit and Fed, I had to just sit there and grit my teeth. Was happy that they didn't have live coverage from Rome with a reporter talking on and on about the dress, food and locals with some real misguided stars in their eyes.

I don't really remember if we were so into movie stars and their lives when I was in school and college. There is now. One look at a news channel from home assures me there is. When NDTV's "We the people" talk about Kabhie Alvida Na kehana and its really screwed up characters story, I know we are doomed. I mean we did talk movies, I was and am a huge movie fan, but I was more into the movie, the story, the actors not the real live ego's. It is crazy here. It feels like a scene out of that movie where this man's every move is filmed..Now what was it's name hmmm!!??!! Anyway, it's disgusting. There are so many things happening in the world,so many wackos in the Big seat controlling gives. Wouldn't we all have some space in our brain if we empty this junk and fill it up with actual information. I bet there wouldn't be protests about the falling math and reading grades and president's not knowing where Iraq and Afganisthan is until you drop a bomb and pinpoint it. Wouldn't India be better off with people worrying about there are criminals in the center and not worry about Aishwarya marrying Abhishek. Agreed people adulate these stars and look at their lives and feel good about themselves. But aren't they taking the adulation to dangerous heights when they fly above their homes and film them sunning in their yard. I don't know, I just feel its pathetic and far too much pressure on normal folks working for their bread by acting, too much pressure to live up to their image, lead a perfect life and always be happy. No wonder 9/10 are bonkers.
Oh BTW just for record, I am not a big fan of Aishwarya - Abhishek as a pair. Apart from the fact that watching her act causes me to throw up, they just don't fit.

1 Borrowed my shoes:

karmic said...

Stuff like this is why I get most of my news from online sites incl that of BBC. I just find it hard to watch stuff like this now.